What is Acid Reflux?
Sour regurgitation refers to the reflux of gastric contents through the esophagus to the oropharynx, and the mouth feels an acidic substance; if the duodenal contents reflux to the oropharynx through the stomach and esophagus, a bitter substance is felt in the mouth , Called duodenal gastroesophageal reflux. Mostly due to cardia insufficiency and gastric dysfunction, peristaltic acidic gastric juices flow back to the mouth. Acid reflux is just a symptom, not a disease. Treatment principles should first eliminate the cause, rational control and relieve symptoms.
- English name
- sour regurgitation
- Visiting department
- Common causes
- Prolonged alcoholism, spicy food, stress, certain medications, surgery, severe burns or bacterial infections, genetic pathology
- Common symptoms
- Gastric contents flow back to the oropharynx through the esophagus, and acidity is felt in the mouth
Causes of acid reflux and common diseases
- Physiological acid reflux
- When mental stress, excessive fatigue, and poor mood, the cerebral cortex is dysfunctional and can not control the nerves of gastric acid secretion well, which promotes the increase of gastric acid secretion; improper diet, such as too sweet, too salty, too spicy, too acidic, too cold Overheated food can stimulate the increase of gastric acid secretion; while some coarse grains, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc. contain a large amount of starch, sugar, acid, etc., they can stimulate the stomach to produce a large amount of gastric acid; for non-digestible food, the remaining sugar is fermented in the gastrointestinal tract Also induce acid reflux.
- 2. Pathological acid reflux
- Hyperacidity can also cause acid reflux. If acid reflux occurs repeatedly or persists, it is called gastroesophageal reflux disease. If not treated in time, it can cause more serious complications, such as esophageal erosion, ulcers, bleeding, esophageal stricture, and even cause esophageal cancer.
- 3. Other
- Long-term alcohol abuse, eating spicy food, irregular life, irregular meals, stress, drinking too much soda, smoking a lot, taking certain drugs that are harmful to the stomach, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs aspirin, indole Messin (indomethacin), reserpine, buta pine, etc., surgery, severe burns or bacterial infections, genetics can also stimulate increased gastric acid secretion.
Differential acid reflux diagnosis
- The difference between acid reflux and vomiting is that the former does not have the symptoms of nausea and retching. The difference between antacid and ruminant is that the latter involuntarily refluxes the solid food intake to the mouth and then chews or swallows again. It usually occurs within half an hour after a meal. It is found in healthy people who rush to eat a lot of food Or severe mental illness.
Acid reflux check
- Endoscopy can be done to confirm the diagnosis. If necessary, esophageal pH monitoring or kinetic inspection can be performed.
Antacid treatment principle
- The principle of treatment is to eliminate the cause, rationally control and relieve symptoms. Remove anxiety, quit smoking, alcohol, eradicate H. pylori, stop taking drugs that may damage the gastric mucosa, etc. Use of proton pump inhibitors to inhibit gastric acid secretion, such as omeprazole, rabeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole, esmeprazole, ilaprazole; and H2 receptor antagonists such as Cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine, etc. Alkaline drugs can also be used to neutralize gastric acid, reduce gastric acidity, and reduce damage to gastric mucosal epithelial cells.